Serologic testing for immunity after HepB vaccination is recommended only for people whose subsequent clinical management depends on knowledge of their immune status. Testing is not necessary after routine vaccination of adults.
Post-vaccination anti-HBs testing of certain adults is recommended for the following reasons:
- To determine the need for revaccination and the type of follow-up testing:
- HCP and public safety workers at risk for blood or body fluid exposure
- Hemodialysis patients (and others who might require outpatient hemodialysis)
- People with HIV, and other immunocompromised people (e.g., hematopoietic stem-cell transplant recipients or people receiving chemotherapy)
- To determine the need for revaccination and for other methods of protection against HBV infection:
- Sex partners or needle-sharing partners of HBsAg-positive people
Testing should be performed 1 to 2 months after the last dose of vaccine.