| Issue 40 -
Dec 30, 1998
- OPV is no longer recommended for the
first two doses of the polio series, except in special circumstances
- CDC satellite broadcast, "Preparing
for the Next Influenza Pandemic," to air on February 25
- MMWR publishes article on influenza vaccination
status of persons aged 65-79
- Editors' reminder: Free influenza teaching
- Conference on vaccine research set for
Issue 39 -
Dec 22, 1998
- Lyme disease vaccine license application
approved by FDA
Issue 38 -
Dec 21, 1998
- Story #8: Five varicella deaths that
could have been prevented
Issue 37 -
Dec 18, 1998
- AAP now recommends IPV for the first
two doses of the primary series for polio vaccine
- MMWR publishes announcement on FDA approval
of a fourth acellular pertussis vaccine for use among infants and
- MMWR publishes article on the progress
toward global measles control and regional elimination
- "Immunization Gateway" is a
major immunization resource center on the web
Issue 36 -
Dec 17, 1998
- CDC responds to questions about influenza
vaccine and Guillain-Barre Syndrome
Issue 35 -
Dec 16, 1998
- AAP's statement on rotavirus is now available
on the web
- CDC's rotavirus vaccine information for
parents is on IAC's website
- Details of the 100 million dollar donation
are on the web
- Check out the National Vaccine Program
Office's new website
- MMWR publishes article on the impact
of the sequential IPV/OPV schedule on vaccination coverage levels
in the U.S.
- MMWR publishes article on progress toward
eliminating Hib disease among infants and children in the U.S.
Issue 34 -
Dec 15, 1998
- Story #7: Montana newborn of an unvaccinated
mother contracts neonatal tetanus after application of nonsterile
clay to the umbilical cord.
Issue 33 -
Dec 4, 1998
- Free immunization teaching modules available
- The 1998 edition of Canada's Immunization
Guide is now on the web.
Issue 32 -
Dec 1, 1998
- Fall/Winter "VACCINATE ADULTS!" is
on the web
- Buena Noticia! Td Vaccine Information
Statement (VIS) is on the web in Spanish!
Issue 31 -
Nov 26, 1998
- CDC to broadcast course on surveillance
of vaccine-preventable diseases on December 3
- CDC releases "Recommendations for
prevention and control of hepatitic C virus (HCV) infection and HCV-related
- Continuing medical education credits
are now a component of certain MMWR publications
- "Laboratory-based surveillance for
rotavirus - United States, July 1997-June 1998" published in
- "Update: Influenza activity - United
States, 1998-99 season" published in MMWR
- "Vaccination coverage by race/ethnicity
and poverty level among children aged 19-35 months - United States,
1997" published in MMWR
30 - Nov 12, 1998
- Story #6: "All of the horrors that
I endured could have been avoided"
Issue 29 -
Nov 9, 1998
- Story #5: "I awoke one morning unable
Issue 28 -
Nov 5, 1998
- Story #4: Three fatal varicella cases
in unvaccinated young women
Issue 27 -
Nov 4, 1998
- Fall/Winter "NEEDLE TIPS" is
now on the web and in the mail
- What's in the newest issue of "NEEDLE
- Been to our website lately? There's lots
of new information you can use!
Issue 26 -
Oct 16, 1998
- Make sure National Adult Immunization
Awareness Week happens every week of the year!
- UNPROTECTED PEOPLE are telling their
stories on our new web page!
- Free for the asking! Bulk copies of "NEEDLE
TIPS" and "VACCINATE ADULTS!"
- Need help educating Asian Americans about
- "Back-To-School" specials!
Materials to educate middle school kids about immunization
- Noociisa B, Hom B, Hepatitei B! Download
hepatitis B brochures for parents in 17 languages
- !Terrifico! "Every week thousands
of sexually active people get hepatitis B" is now available
in Spanish. Download it!
Issue 25 -
Oct 15, 1998
- Show this varicella video and watch parents
line up their children!
- Doing school-based vaccinations? It's
easier with the new "Roll Up Both Sleeves!"
Issue 24 -
Oct 14, 1998
- Story #3: Family remembers hepatitis
B victim as a girl with promise
Issue 23 -
Oct 13, 1998
- World Health Organization says there
is no scientific justification to suspend hepatitis B immunization
- Engerix-B approved by FDA for use in
patients with hepatitis C
- Hepatitis Foundation International schedules
programs on hepatitis C virus infection in five major cities
Issue 22 -
Sep 16, 1998
- Great news! CDC now has a new "Vaccine
- Terrifico! Pneumococcal and influenza
vaccine information statements in Spanish and six other languages!
- PBS to air "A Paralyzing Fear: The
Story Of Polio In America" on October 5
- Starting a hepatitis B campaign for college
students? Free materials are available!
Issue 21 -
Sep 14, 1998
- Story # 2: Parent of child with HBV testifies
about importance of hepatitis B vaccination
Issue 20 -
Sep 10, 1998
- Federal announcement: DTaP/HIB combined
vaccines should not be used for the primary series
Issue 19 -
Sep 4, 1998
- CDC answers your questions on varicella
and varicella vaccine
Issue 18 -
Sep 2, 1998
- Simplified pediatric dosing regimen now
available for RECOMBIVAX HB
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society's
Medical Advisory Board says there is no current evidence of a link
between hepatitis B vaccine and multiple sclerosis
Issue 17 -
Aug 31, 1998
- Rotavirus vaccine license application
is approved by FDA
Issue 16 -
Aug 27, 1998
- Intron A approved for pediatric use in
chronic hepatitis B virus infection
- Oops! Correction in broadcast time for
CDC Satellite Immunization Training
Issue 15 -
Aug 26, 1998
- We revised our vaccine administration
record sheets to help you comply with legal requirements
- Get the latest vaccine updates beamed
to you by "Dr. Bill"
- Link to the big "Pink Book" and
download a great reference book
- First national conference on immunization
coalitions set for October 14-15, 1998
- There's a hepatitis B support group on
- Free posters to promote National Adult
- Materials you can download and use for
Adult Immunization Week
- Free for the asking -- bulk copies of "NEEDLE
TIPS" and "VACCINATE ADULTS!"
- Do you need an easy way to educate pre-teens
about immunization? Order "Immunization Plus!"
- Vaccinating students and staff in school? Order
the new "Roll up Both Sleeves!"
Issue 14 -
Aug 21, 1998
- When reporters call, seize the
opportunity to educate them!
- We need your stories of people with vaccine-preventable
- Story #1: A mother's experience with
Haemophilus Influenzae Type B
Issue 13 -
July 30, 1998
- New DTaP vaccine licensed by FDA
Issue 12 -
July 28, 1998
- It's the law! Give your patients
Vaccine Information Statements (VISs)
- CDC releases new Vaccine Information
Statement (VIS) on Influenza Vaccine for 1998-99
- CDC/NIP Resource Request List is now
available on the Internet or by fax
- Get a copy of the "Adult Immunization
Action Plan" and find out what you can do to help!
- What you need to know about the National
Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
- "Weekly Epidemiological Record" is
available free on the Internet
- International Society of Travel Medicine
provides in-depth information on the Internet
Issue 11 -
June 17, 1998
- CDC releases new ACIP statement on measles,
mumps, and rubella
- We want to see you at CDC's National
Immunization Conference in July!
10 - June 9, 1998
- Link up to our newest translations!
- Free posters to help you get adolescents
vaccinated against hep B!
- Summer price reduction! A fabulous video
and "how-to" manual to help you start a program to get
Asian kids vaccinated against hepatitis B!
Issue 9 -
June 4, 1998
- Need hepatitis A, B, C, D, E, and G information?
Then make CDC's Hepatitis Branch website your first stop!
- Three unvaccinated children die of varicella-related
- 24-hour emergency hotline answers clinicians'
questions on exposures to blood borne diseases
- New video available to teach teens about
liver wellness and protection against hepatitis B
Issue 8 -
May 14, 1998
- A vaccine to prevent rotavirus disease
is on the horizon. Get the facts here!
- "VACCINATE ADULTS!" is in the
mail and on our website, too!
- VFC Program (Vaccines For Children) now
has its own website.
- It take a whole country to develop a
national immunization registry. Here's your chance to help!
- Health care worker immunization recommendations
to be covered at June 4th adult immunization satellite conference
Issue 7 -
May 4, 1998
- Coalition e-mail news service now called "IAC
- CDC releases 1998 ACIP statement "Prevention
and Control of Influenza"
- CDC releases "Hepatitis B vaccine
fact sheet" and "Hepatitis B vaccine questions and answers"
- It's bad enough to lose a spleen!
- Are you looking for HBV clinical trials
for your patients?
- "NEEDLE TIPS" is in the mail
and "VACCINATE ADULTS!" will follow soon!
- FREE! Bulk copies of last issue of "NEEDLE
TIPS" now available
- Adult immunization videoconference is
coming to your neighborhood on June 4
- Will we see you at the National Immunization
Conference in July?
- Link up to our latest publications.
Issue 6 -
Feb 28, 1998
- VFC hepatitis B vaccine is now available
for eligible children 0 through 18 years of age.
- Remember, you can use VFC vaccine to
protect VFC-eligible children ages 1 through 15 against varicella.
- Errors in the "Recommended Childhood
Immunization Schedule, United States, January - December 1998" are
corrected regarding the use of combination vaccines and hepatitis
- It's a fact! CDC'S Vaccine Safety Fact
Sheets are now available!
- Coalition's web page is the "apple" of
- Because you don't have the time to answer
all parents' immunization questions....
- Unleash "The Germ Patrol" in
your clinic and watch what happens!
Issue 5 -
Feb 2, 1998
- Download the 1998 Childhood Immunization
- MMWR reviews information on rabies prevention
- Download CDC'S brand new STD Guidelines
and stay up to date with the newest recommendations and treatments!
- Looking for adult and adolescent, immunization
resources? Look here first!
- Before you start an immunization delivery
program, why not read this guidebook?
Issue 4 -
Jan 8, 1998
- New immunization guidelines for health
care workers released by ACIP and HICPAC
- CDC live, interactive satellite broadcast
on Feb 26, 1998
- Best selling resources from the Immunization
- Limited edition Dr. Seuss immunization
- Free! Bulk copies of "oldies but
goodies" Immunization Action Coalition resources