Issue Number 79
May 20, 1999
CONTENTS OF THIS ISSUE
- Send Congress your hepatitis B vaccine
Back to Top
May 20, 1999
SEND CONGRESS YOUR HEPATITIS B VACCINE TESTIMONY
The May 18th congressional hearing concerning hepatitis B vaccine is not over! At the
hearing before the Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources Subcommittee, a
subcommittee of the House Committee on Government Reform, subcommittee chair, Congressman
John Mica, announced that the record will be held open for 30 days so that additional
people may submit their testimonies.
Make your voice heard! Congress really needs to know just how much support there is for
hepatitis B vaccine!
The expert government witnesses who provided testimony at the hearing on the safety and
other aspects of hepatitis B vaccine were Harold S. Margolis, MD, chief of the Hepatitis
Branch at CDC, and Susan S.Ellenberg, PhD, director of the Division of Biostatistics and
Dr. Margolis made the following remarks in his opening statement:
"While I am here to offer expert testimony on hepatitis B vaccine, my scientific and
public health expertise is broadened by my responsibilities as a parent and pediatrician.
All perspectives lead me to the same conclusions: (1) that hepatitis B is a real and
serious risk to infants and young children; (2) that we have a safe, effective, and proven
vaccine for addressing that risk; and, (3) that as scientists, physicians, policy makers,
and parents, it is our responsibility to protect the current and future health of
our children by broadly using this vaccine."
Dr. Margolis' complete testimony can be read on CDC's National Immunization Program
As of this writing, Dr. Ellenberg's testimony is not yet available on the Internet.
Please submit your testimony before June 16th. Together we can send Congress a strong
message that hepatitis B vaccine is a safe and effective vaccine that protects children
and adults from a life-threatening illness. Some ideas for written testimony might include
information you have about:
- hepatitis B-infected children
- case reports describing how serious this disease
- the lack of highly effective treatment modalities
- descriptions of people who suffered or are
suffering from chronic hepatitis B infection
The message you send will help Congress
understand the importance of hepatitis B vaccine. Please fax or mail your written
testimony to any or ALL of the subcommittee members listed below. Some members can also be
reached at their e-mail addresses, however, many members only make e-mail available to
their constituents and may ask you to furnish a district and zip code for reference. No
matter how you send it, make sure your testimony reaches its destination before June 16,
1999. Ask that it be included as part of the official record of the hearing.
All individuals listed below can be contacted at:
Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources Subcommittee
House Committee on Government Reform
B-373 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
1. Representative John Mica* (R-FL) tel.
225-4035, fx. 226-0821,
2. Representative Bob Barr** (R-GA) tel. 225-2931, fx. 225-2944,
3. Representative Benjamin Gilman (R-NY) tel. 225-3776, fx. 225-2541,
4. Representative Christopher Shays (R-Conn) tel. 225-5541, fx. 225-5879, firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) tel. 225-3931, fx. 225-5620,
6. Representative Mark Souder (R-IN) tel. 225-4436, fx. 225-3479,
7. Representative Steve LaTourette (R-Ohio) tel. 225-5731, fx. 225-3307,
8. Representative Asa Hutchinson (R-Ark) tel. 225-4301, fx. 225-5713,
9. Representative Doug Ose (R-Calif) tel. 225-5716, fx. 225-1298,
10. Representative Patsy Mink*** (D-Hawaii) tel. 225-4906, fx. 225-4987, www.house.gov/mink
11. Representative Edolphus Towns (D-NY) tel. 225-5936, fx. 225-1018,
12. Representative Elijah Cummings (D-MD) tel. 225-4741, fx. 225-3178,
13. Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) tel. 225-5871, fx. 225-5745,
no e-mail address available
14. Representative Rod Blagojevich (D-Ill) tel. 225-4061, fx. 225-5603,
15. Representative John Tierney (D-Mass) tel. 225-8020, fx. 225-5915,
16. Representative Jim Turner (D-TX) tel. 225-2401, fx. 225-5955,
** Vice Chairman
*** Ranking Member
All phone and fax numbers are in the (202) area code.
OTHER ORGANIZATIONS WOULD LIKE COPIES OF YOUR TESTIMONY, TOO!
The Immunization Action Coalition would love to see a copy of your testimony, and we think
CDC's National Immunization Program and CDC's Hepatitis Branch would also be very
interested in seeing the support there is for hepatitis B vaccine.
Please send copies to the following addresses:
1) Immunization Action Coalition
1573 Selby Avenue, Suite 234
St. Paul, MN 55104-6328
2) CDC's National Immunization Program
1600 Clifton Road NE, MS E-05
Atlanta, GA 30333
Attn: Walter A. Orenstein, MD, Director, NIP
3) CDC's Hepatitis Branch
1600 Clifton Road NE, MS A-33
Atlanta, GA 30333
Attn: Harold S. Margolis, MD, Chief, Hepatitis Branch
Thank you very much.