- history of a severe (anaphylactic) reaction to any vaccine component or following a previous dose of MMR (see specific package insert for details: www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/vaccines-licensed-use-united-states)
- severe immunosuppression from either disease or therapy
- family history of altered immunocompetence, unless verified clinically or by laboratory testing as immunocompetent
- receipt of an antibody-containing blood product in the previous 11 months, depending on the type of blood product received. Specific intervals vary by product type. See www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/general-recs/timing.html, Table 3-6, for more information on this issue.
- history of thrombocytopenia or thrombocytopenic purpura
- moderate or severe acute illness with or without fever
- need for tuberculin skin testing or interferon gamma release assay (IGRA) testing
Important details about the contraindications and precautions for MMR vaccine are in the 2013 MMR ACIP statement, available at www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr6204.pdf.